Slimen El Kamel
Slimen El Kamel was born in Mazouna in the region of Sidi Bouzid in Tunisia.
Slimen El Kamel was born in Mazouna in the region of Sidi Bouzid in Tunisia. Nurtured in the popular narrative, his childhood was moulded by the imagination of the rural environment where the tradition of folk tales and poetry flourished. His studies at the Higher Institute of Fine Arts in Tunis allowed him to crystallise this literary and intellectual heritage into a singular artistic practice. A practice whose genesis opens through writing and draws its resources from its texts, sometimes poetic or literary, sometimes memorial or improvised. The daily writing exercise, while it delimits, extends the horizons of its physical universe.
Not far from free figuration, the artist questions the relationship between the real and the imaginary through the dramatization of the constellated image. Images of memory, of a reality taken from everyday media, intersect in a pictorial field where, on the surface of a picture, the rustling of a dialogue begins without end, not for the narrative of a fact, but for a festival of narratives.
His more recent work considers the links between the human body and everyday consumable objects. El Kamel considers the ways in which virtual and lived reality hinge upon visual and auditory channels of communication.
El Kamel holds a Masters in painting from the Tunis Institute of Fine Arts. He has participated in exhibitions and art fairs in Africa and Europe. El Kamel was an art resident at the Living Arts Center at Rades for a year and paid multiple artistic and research visits to Paris, Algeria, and Bahrain. He was a finalist of the inaugural Sovereign MENA Art Prize in partnership with Start. This prize awards 30 of the most exciting mid-career artists across the MENA region with an exhibition in Alserkal Avenue, Dubai. The exhibition took place in October 2016. The artist is also active as an art critic.
LIST OF EXHIBITIONS
– 2011: solo exibition in Artychow gallery la Marsa- Tunis
– 2016: exihibition “Talan” – Tunis.
– 2016: exihibition in Marsa Gallery in Dubaï
– 2016: exihibition in the National library of Tunis.
– 2016: exhibition “Talan ” – Tunis.
– 2015: exihibition “SMAP Art ” organised by the union of arts – Tunis.
– 2015: exhibition in the National library of Tunis.
– 2012: exhibition ” Black board ” in the Acropolium of Carthage – Tunis
– 2012: exhibition in the memory of Mahmoud Messadi – Tunis.
– 2011: exhibition in the National library of Tunis
– 2009 / 2011: Participation in spring sessions of Arts in La Marsa – Tunis.
– 2009: exhibition in the cultural centre of Gabes
– 2009 :exhibition Artyshow Gallery La Marsa – Tunis.
– 2012: Participation in artistic activities in open workshop in the Arts centre of Radés titled by ” The imaginairy of the daily ” – Tunis.
ART FAIRS & BIENNALES
– 2017: Turbine Art Fair South of Africa
– 2017: Art Paris Art Fair, France, Paris
-2017: AKAA Contemporary Art & Design Fair, France, paris
-2017: 1.54 Contemporary African Art Fair London
– 2016: Art Dubai Contemporary Fair
-2016: 1.54 Contemporary African Art Fair London
–2016: cape town art fair south africa
– 2016: Laureate of Cachan biennial – France
– 2016 : Nomited to mena art prize
-2015: : Art Dubai Contemporary Fair